You are here
Fellowship-trained foot and ankle surgeon Dr. Douglas Lucas specializes in surgical and nonsurgical foot and ankle treatments, including limb deformity correction, ankle replacement, and cartilage repair. Dedicated to providing his patients with exceptional orthopedic care, Dr. Lucas understands how significant foot pain or disability can affect one’s life and strives to work with each patient individually to get them back to their active lifestyle.
After receiving his Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from The University of Utah in Salt Lake City, Utah, Dr. Lucas attended The Edward Via Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine in Blacksburg, Virginia, for his Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine degree. After medical school, he completed his orthopedic surgery internship and residency at the OhioHealth Doctors Hospital in Columbus, Ohio. He then elected to undergo additional training through an orthopedic foot and ankle surgery fellowship at the Stanford University School of Medicine in Stanford, California.
In his free time, Dr. Lucas enjoys spending time with his family as well as camping, hiking, mountain and road cycling, skiing, and snowboarding.
Education & Training
- Bachelor of Fine Arts: The University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah
- Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine: The Edward Via Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine, Blacksburg, Virginia
- Orthopedic Surgery Internship: OhioHealth Doctors Hospital, Columbus, Ohio, 2009 – 2010
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency: OhioHealth Doctors Hospital, Columbus, Ohio, 2010 – 2014
- Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Surgery Fellowship: Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California, 2014 – 2015
- Board Certification: American Osteopathic Board of Orthopedic Surgery
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society
- American Orthopaedic Society of 3D Printing
- American Osteopathic Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- American Osteopathic Association
- Western Orthopaedic Association
PEER REVIEW PUBLICATIONS:
- Lucas DE, Watson BC, Simpson GA, Hyer C, Berlet G. Arthroscopic Evaluation of Syndesmotic Instability and Mal-Reduction. Foot and Ankle Specialist, 2016. July 9. Epub ahead of print.
- Taylor B, Hansen D, Harrison R, Lucas DE, Degenova D. Primary Retrograde Tibiotalocalcaneal Nailing for Fragility Ankle Fractures. Iowa Orthopedic Journal. Vol 36: 75-78. 2016, June.
- Taylor J, Riley A, Watson BC, Lucas DE, Philbin TM. Analysis of Fusion Rates with Tibiotalocalcaneal Nails with and without Internal Compression Using the RAIN Database. Foot Ankle Int. 2016 Mar;37(3):294-9. Epub 2015 Oct 15.
- Steginsky B, Lucas DE, Berlet G, Philbin TM. Patient-Reported Outcomes and Return to Activity after Peroneus Brevis Repair. Foot Ankle Int. 2016 Feb;37(2): 178-85. Epub 2015 Oct 22.
- Watson BC, Lucas DE, Simpson GA, Berlet GC, Hyer CF. Arthroscopic Evaluation of Syndesmotic Instability in a Cadaveric Model. Foot and Ankle Int. 2015 Nov;36(11):1362-8 Epub 2015, June 4.
- Lucas DE, Ekroth S, Hyer C. Intermediate-Term Results of Partial Plantar Fascia Release with Microtenotomy Using Bipolar Radiofrequency Microtenotomy. Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery. 2015, Jan, 21. 643-647.
- Lucas DE, Simpson A, Philbin T, Berlet G, Smith JL. Screw Size and Insertion Technique Compared with Removal Rates for Calcaneal Displacement Osteotomies. Foot Ankle Int. 2015, April; 36(4):395-9.
- Lucas DE, Simpson A, Philbin T. Comparing Fixation Used for Calcaneal Displacement Osteotomies: A look at removal rates and cost. Foot and Ankle Specialist. 2015, Feb: 8(1): 18-22
- Lucas DE, Philbin TM, Hatic S. The Plantar Plate of the First Metatarsal Phalangeal Joint: An Anatomical Study. Foot and Ankle Specialist, 2014 Apr;7(2) 108-12.
- Lucas DE, Hyer CF, Berlet GC, Shockely JA. Anomalous Peroneal Tendon Insertion Masquerading as a Retracted Tendon Tear: Case Report. Foot and Ankle International 2013 Apr;34(4): 603-6.
- Lucas DE, Willis LM, Klingele KE. Factors Predictive of Early Radiographic Failure After Closed Reduction of Gartland Type II Supracondylar Humerus Fractures. Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma. 2013 Aug;27(8): 457-61.
- Lucas DE, Anderson, RB, Hunt KJ. Ligament injuries of the forefoot. Chapman’s Orthopaedics.
- Lucas DE, Hunt KJ. Hallux Rigidus: Anatomy and Pathophysiology. Foot Ankle Clin. 2015 Sep;20(3):381-9.
- Lucas DE, Philbin TM, Jacob P. Peroneus Longus Tendon Rupture at the Cuboid Groove: Diagnosis and Treatment Options. Current Orthopaedic Practice, Vol. 23, pp 94-8. March, 2012.