Dr. Lilly was featured in a recent Health Alert on News 13 featuring the benefits of 3D knee replacement. The proceedure calls for a CT scan of...Read More
You are here
Dr. Edward G. Lilly III is a graduate of Davidson College in Davidson, N.C. He received his medical degree from Duke University School of Medicine in Durham, N.C., in 1993, and completed his residency in orthopedic surgery at Duke University in 1999. After residency, he spent one year as an Otto E. Aufranc Fellow at New England Baptist Hospital in Boston, MA, specializing in hip & knee, sports medicine, and general orthopedics. From 2000 to 2002, he was an Assistant Professor of Orthopedic Surgery at Duke University Medical Center. He currently practices in Hendersonville. He specializes in general orthopedic surgery, sports medicine, hip & knee replacement, and shoulder surgery.
Dr. Lilly was recently elected president of the N.C. Orthopedics Association. Learn more in this interview with Blue Ridge Now.
Education & Training
- Bachelor of Arts in Economics: Davidson College, Davidson, North Carolina, 1986
- Pre-Medical Sciences: The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, 1987 - 1988
- Doctor of Medicine: Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, North Carolina, 1993
- General Surgery Internship: Duke Health, Durham, North Carolina, 1993 - 1994
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency: Duke Health, Durham, North Carolina, 1995 - 1999
- Otto E. Aufranc Adult Reconstructive Surgery (Hip & Knee Replacement) Fellowship: New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, 1999 - 2000
Certification & Licensure
- Board Certification: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, 2002
- North Carolina Medical License
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts Registration
- Member, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- North Carolina Medical Society
- Wilderness Medical Society
- Investigational Device Exemption Study, Reflection Ceramic-Ceramic Hip System, Clinical Follow Up.
- Thigh pain and periprosthetic bone density in total hip arthroplasty: A prospective, randomized study comparing cementless titanium and cobalt chrome femoral components.
- Murrell GAC, Lilly EG, Collins A, Seaber AV, Goldner RD , Best TM. Achilles Tendon Injuries: A Comparison of Surgical Repair and No Repair in a Rat Model. Foot and Ankle. 14(7):400-406. 1993
- Murrell, GAC, Lilly EG, Goidner RD, Seaber AV, Best TM. Effects of Immobilization on Achilles Tendon Healing in a Rat Model. Journal of Orthopaedic Research. 12(4) :582-591, 1994
- Best TM, Collins A, Lilly EG, Seaber AV, Goldner RD , Murreli GA. Achilles Tendon Healing: A Correlation between Functional and Mechanical Performance in the Rat. Journal of Orthopaedic Research. 11(6):897-906. 1993.
- Murrell GAC, Lilly EG, Davies H, Best TM, Goldner RD , Seaber AV. The Achilles Functional Index. Journal of Orthopaedic Research. 10(3):398-404. 1992.
- Lilly EG and Speer KP. Osteonecrosis of the Humeral Head and Arthroscopic Treatment Options. In Osteonecrosis: Etiology, Diagnosis and Treatment. Urbaniak, JR and Jones, JP eds. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. 1997.
- Lilly EG. The Clinical Application of Ceramic/Ceramic Bearings. Piedmont Orthopaedic Society, 49th Annual Meeting. May 10-12, 2001. Sea Island, Georgia.
- Lilly EG.~ Medical Care in Kenya. Piedmont Orthopaedic Society, 49th Annual Meeting. May 10-12, 2001. Sea Island, Georgia.
- Lilly EG. The Clinical Application of Ceramic/Ceramic Bearings. Hot Topics in Cold Weather. Southern Orthopaedic Association Winter Meeting. February 4-9, 2001. Park City Utah.
- Lilly EG. Hip Arthroscopy: The Evolution. Hot Topics in Cold Weather. Southern Orthopaedic Association Winter Meeting. February 4-9, 2001. Park City Utah.
- Lilly EG, Berend ME, Seaber AV, Feagin JA. The Effect of Cryotherapy on muscle contusion injuries: A Functional and Biochemical Study in the Rabbit. North Carolina Orthopaedic Association. October 9-11, 1998. Asheville, N.C.
- Lilly EG, Spritzer CE, Bassett FH, Moorman CT. Subacromial Impingement Secondary to Aberrancy or Hypertrophy of the Supraspinatus Muscle. Southern Orthopaedic Association Residents and Fellows Conference. November 22, 1996. Baltimore, MD.
- Murrell GAC, Jang D, Lilly EG, Best TM. Effects of Immobilization and Exercise on Tendon Healing. Transactions of the 1996 Combined Australian Orthopaedic and New Zealand Orthopaedic Association Scientific Meeting. Perth, Australia.
- Murrell GAG, Best TM, Goidner RD, Lilly EG, Seaber AV. Effects of Immobilization on Achilles Tendon Healing. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. February 18-23, 1993. San Francisco, CA.
- Murrell GAG, Lilly EG, Goidner RD, Seaber AV, Best TM. The Effects of Immobilization on Achilles Tendon Healing. 8th Annual Summer Meeting of the American Foot and Ankle Society, July 15-19, 1992. Napa, CA.
- Murrell GAC, Lilly EG, Goldner RD, Seaber AV, Best TM. A Functional, Morphological and Biomechanical Evaluation of Surgical Repair of the Achilles Tendon in the Rat. 8th Annual Summer Meeting of the American Foot and Ankle Society, July 15-19, 1992. Napa, CA.
- Murrell GAG, Lilly EG, Goldner RD, Seaber AV, Best TM. The Effects of Immobilization in Achilles Tendon Healing. 9t~~ Combined Meeting of the Orthopaedic Associations of the English Speaking World, June 21-26, 1992. Toronto, Canada. Winner of the American Orthopaedic Association-Zimmer Fifth Annual Travel Award.
- Lilly EG, Collins A, Murrell GAC. Achilles Tendon Ruptures: To Repair or Not Repair? 38th Annual Meeting, Orthopaedic Research Society. February 17-20, 1992. Washington, D.C.
- Murrell GAC, Lilly EG, Davies H, Best TM, Seaber AV. A Novel Functional Assessment of Rat Achilles Tendon Injuries. Combined Meeting of the Orthopaedic Research Societies of the USA, Japan and Canada, October 2 1-23, 1991.
- Best TM, Collins A, Lilly EG, Seaber AV, Murrell GAC. A Functional, Morphological and Biomechanical Study of the Repair Process in Rat Achilles Tendons. American College of Sports Medicine Annual Meeting, May 29- June 1, 1991.
- Murrell GAC, Collins A, Lilly EG, Seaber AV, Best TM. Evaluation of Surgical Repair of Divided Achilles Tendons in a Rat Model. American College of Sports Medicine Annual Meeting, May 29- June 1, 1991. Winner of the American College of Sports Medicine New Investigator Award.
- Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery (Hip & Knee Replacement), Duke University Medical Center, Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, August 2000 - Present
- Clinical Instructor, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery (Hip & Knee Replacement), Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts, August 1999 - July 2000
- Missionary Surgeon, Tenwek Hospital, Bomet, Kenya East Africa, January 1995 - June 1995
- Contributing Editor, Canoe and Kayak Magazine, Health and Fitness Column, August 1998 - Present
- Healing the Children Orthopaedic Surgery Mission to Columbia, South America, Physician Volunteer, August 16-24, 1997
- Event Physician, Centennial Olympic Games, Canoe and Kayak Whitewater Slalom Competition, Ocoee River, July 21-28, 1996
- Event Physician, U.S. Olympic Team Trial for Whitewater Slalom. May 18-19, 1996
- Event Physician, International Whitewater World Cup. April 19-21, 1996
- Member, Westminster Presbyterian Church, 1989 - Present
- Deacon, Westminster Presbyterian Church, Elected 2001
- Medical Missionary to Kenya, 1995
- Youth Leader and Youth Committee Member, 1990 - 1993
- Labor Mission to Mexico for High School Youth, 1991
- Duke University School of Medicine
- Davison Council Service Committee, 1989 - 1990
- Habitat for Humanity Volunteer, 1991
- American Lung Association Fundraiser, 1989
- Davidson College
- Davidson College Honor Council, 1983 - 1986
- Davidson College Hall Counselor, 1984 - 1985
- President, Davidson Lacrosse Club, 1984 - 1986
- Vice-President, Sigma Alpha Epsilon Fraternity, 1985 - 1986
Honors & Awards
- Duke University Orthopaedic Resident Research Award, 1999
- North Carolina Orthopaedic Association Resident Research Award, 1998
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Society, 1992
- F. E. Owen Award for Clinical Excellence, 1993
- American Orthopaedic Association-Zimmer Travel Award (Co-Author), 1992
- American College of Sports Medicine New Investigator Award (Co-Author), 1991
- Omicron Delta Epsilon Honor Society, 1986
- Who's Who in American Colleges and Universities, 1986
- Phi Eta Sigma Honor Society, 1983
- Pardee Hospital
- Park Ridge Hospital
- Mission Hospitals Health System
- Kayaking, Running, Backpacking, Sailing, Skiing, Photography
- Hong Kong, China, Nepal, Thailand, Singapore, Kenya, Tanzania, England, France, Germany, Honduras, Columbia, Costa Rica
- Boston Marathon, 2000
- Marine Corps Marathon, 1998
- Grandfather Mountain Marathon, 1991
- Blue Ridge Cycling Century, 1991
- New York City Marathon, 1987
Dr. Lilly on News 13 for 3D Knee Replacement
Addressing COVID-19 with Orthopedic Telemedicine Appointments and our Orthopedic Urgent Care.x