As the pandemic carries on, many area residents, including those of Asheville, Arden, Fletcher, Hendersonville and Weaverville, are escaping...Read More
You are here
Dr. Jay Jansen is a sports medicine fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeon at Blue Ridge Bone & Joint. His surgical focus is arthroscopic treatment of joint disorder, soft tissue reconstructive procedures of the knee, shoulder, and elbow as well as comprehensive knee surgery.
Dr. Jansen graduated Phi Beta Kappa from Indiana University. He graduated with honors (Alpha Omega Alpha) from Indiana University School of Medicine in Indianapolis, IN. He completed his residency training in orthopedic surgery at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City, IA. Dr. Jansen went on to complete a fellowship in sports medicine and arthroscopic surgery at the American Sports Medicine Institute in Birmingham, Alabama under the direction of Dr. James Andrews and Dr. William Clancy.
Dr. Jansen is the team physician for multiple local colleges and high schools. Besides his involvement with high level athletes, his focus is to enable people of all ages and abilities to maintain an active lifestyle which includes injury prevention and rehabilitation.
Medical Director of Mars Hill College Athletic Training Program
Team Physician for:
- Mars Hill College
- Warren Wilson College
- Montreat College
- Multiple local high schools
- Asheville Buncombe Youth Soccer
Education & Training
- Bachelor of Arts in Chemistry: Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, 1988
- Doctor of Medicine: Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana, 1992
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency: University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa, 1992 - 1997
- Sports Medicine and Arthroscopy Fellowship: American Sports Medicine Institute, Birmingham, Alabama, James R. Andrews, M.D. William G. Clancy, Jr., M.D.
Certification & Licensure
- Board Certification: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery (ABOS), July 2000
- Certificate of Added Qualification (CAQ): Sports Medicine
- Fellow, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 2000
- Fellow, American Orthopaedic Sports Medicine Society, 2000
- American Sports Medicine Institute Fellowship Society
- "Long Term Outcome of Non-operatively Treated Patients with Normal Wrist Arthrograms." Submitted JBJS 6-97
- "Arthroscopically Assisted ACL Reconstruction Using Patellar Tendon versus Semitendnosus and Gracilis Tendons: A Prospective Evaluation"
- "The Effects of Ischemia and Reperfusion Injury on Skeletal Muscle in a Whole Limb Model"
Honors & Awards
- Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Golden Key Honorary
- Alpha Lambda Delta
- Phi Eta Sigma
- Alpha Epsilon Delta
- Mission Hospitals Health System
- Park Ridge Hospital