You are here
Dr. Garbarino graduated magna cum laude from Wake Forest University with a Bachelor of Science. He received his medical degree with honors from the University of Tennessee School of Medicine in 2002 and was a member of Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society. He completed his internship and residency training in emergency medicine at Ohio State University in 2005. He then completed a primary care sports medicine fellowship at Riverside Hospital in Columbus, OH. After three years of working in the Emergency Department, he joined Carolina West Sports Medicine in Sylva, NC as medical director. Serving as medical director from 2009 to 2015, he helped coordinate the care of high school and college athletes, including the management of concussions and non-operative musculoskeletal injuries. During this time, he was also a team physician for Western Carolina University. Enjoying teaching, Dr. Garbarino has lectured to multiple classes at the Western Carolina University Athletic Training Education Program. In 2012, he became the medical director of the WCU Athletic Training Education Program.
He is board-certified in emergency medicine and sports medicine. He is a member of the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine and American College of Emergency Physicians.
Dr. Garbarino enjoys treating a wide range of non-operative orthopedic problems to ensure that patients of all ages maintain the ability to enjoy an active life.
Outside of work, Dr. Garbarino enjoys participating in triathlons, golfing, cooking BBQ ribs, and spending time with his wife and 2 children.
Dr. Garbarino is available to see patients at our Orthopedic Urgent Care during the following hours:
Asheville – McDowell
- Tuesday: 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Thursday: 7:30 a.m. – 7:30 p.m.
- Friday: 7:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Monday: 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Wednesday: 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Education & Training
- Bachelor of Science: Wake Forest University, Winstom-Salem, North Carolina, 1998, Magna Cum Laude
- Doctor of Medicine: The University of Tennessee College of Medicine, Memphis, Tennessee, 2002
- Emergency Medicine Residency: The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, 2002 - 2005
- Sports Medicine Fellowship: Riverside Methodist Hospital, Columbus, Ohio, 2005 - 2006
Certification & Licensure
- ATLS, ACLS, PALS
- Board Certification: Emergency Medicine, 2006 - 2016
- Board Certification: Primary Care Sports Medicine, 2006 - 2016
- State Medical Board of North Carolina License: 2006-00558
- Tennessee Medical License: 44595
- DEA License: BG9002205
- American College of Sports Medicine, 2012 - Present
- American Medical Society for Sports Medicine, 2005 - Present
- American College of Emergency Medicine Physicians, July 2003 - Present
Honors & Awards
- Western Carolina University Athletic Trainer Lecturer of the Year, 2012
- AOA, 2002
- Phi Beta Kappa, 1998
- Golden Key, 1998