Three EmergeOrtho: Blue Ridge Division Physicians were honored by Asheville Catholic School at a ceremony at the school on March 16th, 2013....Read More
You are here
Dr. Michael J. Goebel graduated from the University of Notre Dame in South Bend, IN with highest honors and received his medical degree with honors at the University of Iowa. He completed his internship and his orthopedic surgery residency at the University of Florida in Gainesville, FL. He completed his fellowship in Spine Surgery at the Maryland Spinal Reconstructive Surgery Fellowship in Baltimore, MD. He specializes in Spine Surgery and General Orthopedic Surgery. He is a member of the North American Spine Society.
Education & Training
- Bachelor of Science in Biology: University of Notre Dame, South Bend, Indiana, 1988, Summa Cum Laude
- Doctor of Medicine: University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, Iowa City, Iowa, 1992, Alpha Omega Alpha National Medical Honor Society
- General Surgery Internship: University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, Florida, 1992 - 1993
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency: University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, Florida, 1993 - 1997
- The Maryland Spinal Reconstructive Surgery Fellowship: St. Joseph Medical Center, Baltimore, Maryland, Directors: Paul C. McAfee, M.D., Ira L. Fedder, MD., 1997 - 1998
Certification & Licensure
- Board Certification: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- State of North Carolina Medical Board
- Controlled Substance Registration Certificate
- North American Spine Society
- North Carolina Spine Society
- American Association of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- North Carolina Orthopaedic Society
- American Medical Association
- North Carolina Medical Society
PUBLISHED BOOK CHAPTERS:
- Goebel MJ, Carroll IV C, McAfee PC: Fractures and Dislocations of Cervical Spine from C3 to C7, Chapter 140, Chapman's Orthopaedic Surgery, Third Edition, Lippincott Publishers, 2001.
- Goebel MJ, McAfee PC: BAK~ Interbody Fusion System: Laproscopic Technique, BAK~ Interbody Fusion System: Video-Assisted Thoracic Surgery (V.A.T.S.) Technique. Scoliosis Research Society Spinal Instrumentation Manual, 1998.
- Goebel MJ: Orthopaedics, Mosby's ACE the Boards, USLME Step III Comprehensive Review, Chapter 9, p. 172-187. Joseph L. Donnely and Randolph B. Lipscher, Editors, Mosby Publishers, 1997.
BOOK CHAPTERS IN PRINT:
- Goebel MJ, McAfee PC: Combined Anterior and Posterior Surgery for Traumatic Cervical Spine Instability, C3-C7. Surgical Management of Orthopaedic Trauma, Mosby Publishers, 2000.
PUBLISHED JOURNAL ARTICLES:
- Oda I, Cunningham BW, Buckley RA, Goebel MJ, Haggerty CJ, Orbegoso CM, McAFee PC: Does Spinal Kyphotic Deformity Influence the Biomechanical Characteristics of the Adjacent Motion Segments? An In Vivo Animal Model. Spine 1999 Oct 15;24(20):2139-46.
- Christ D. Goebel MJ. Saz H: Actions of Acetyleholine and GABA on Spontaneous Contractions of the Filariid, Dipetalonema viteae. British Journal of Pharmacology, Chapter 101, p. 971-977, 1990.
- Cary L. Goebel M, Corsaro B. Wang H, Rosen E, Fraser M: Transposon Mutagenesis of Baculoviruses: Analysis of Trichoplusia ni Transposos IFP2 Insertions within the FP-Locus of Nuclear Polyhedrosis Viruses. Virology, Chapter 172, p.156-169, 1989.
- Helmstedter C. Goebel M, Scarborough M: Pathologic Fracture of the Femur After Radiation and Surgical Excision of Soft Tissue Sarcomas of the Thigh. 65th Annual Meeting, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 1998.
- Cunningham BW, Oda I, Haggerty CJ, Sefter JC, Buckley R, Goebel M, Fedder IL, McAfee PC: An Investigational Study of Calcium Sulfate for Posterolateral Spinal Arthrodesis- An In Vivo Animal Model. 45th Annual Meeting, Orthopaedic Research Society, 1999.
- Cunningham BW, Oda I, Haggerty CJ, Buckley R. Goebel M, Fedder IL, McAfee PC. The Use of Bioglass for Posterolateral Spinal Arthrodesis and Iliac Crest Donor Site Repair - An In Vivo Sheep Model. 45th Annual Meeting, Orthopaedic Research Society, 1999. Poster 13th Annual Meeting, North American Spine Society, 1998.
- Oda I, Cunningham BW, Buckley R, Goebel M, Haggerty CJ, Fedder IL, Kaneda K, McAfee PC. Does Spinal Kyphotic Deformity Influence the Biomechanical Characteristics of the Adjacent Motion Segments? - An In Vivo Animal Model. 45th Annual Meeting, Orthopaedic Research Society, 1999. 13th Annual Meeting, North American Spine Society, 1998.
- Mission Hospitals Health System
- Park Ridge Hospital
Philosophy of Care
Providing comprehensive evaluations of neck and back disorders with an emphasis on nonoperative and operative care.
Drs. Mangone, Goebel and Shea honored by Asheville Catholic School
Our office hours have changed for the holiday. Have a safe and wonderful holiday!x