As the pandemic carries on, many area residents, including those of Asheville, Arden, Fletcher, Hendersonville and Weaverville, are escaping...Read More
You are here
Dr. Shea graduated cum laude from the University of Notre Dame in Notre Dame, IN, with a Bachelor of Science. He received his medical degree from Loyola University Stritch School of Medicine in Chicago, IL, in 1999. He completed his internship and residency at Moses Cone Family Medicine Residency Program at Moses Cone Health System in Greensboro, NC. He also completed his fellowship in primary care sports medicine at Moses Cone Health System in Greensboro, NC. He specializes in family medicine sports medicine. He is a member of the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine, the American Academy of Family Practice, the North Carolina Academy of Family Practice, and the American Medical Association.
Dr. Shea is available to see patients at our Orthopedic Urgent Care during the following hours:
Asheville – McDowell
- Monday: 10:00 a.m. – 7:30 p.m.
- Wednesday: 7:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- Tuesday: 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Thursday: 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Friday: 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Education & Training
- Bachelor of Science: The University of Notre Dame, South Bend, Indiana, Cum Laude, 1991 - 1995
- Doctor of Medicine: Loyola University Stritch School of Medicine Chicago, Illinois, 1995 - 1999
- Family Medicine Residency: Moses Cone Health System, Greensboro, North Carolina, 1999 - 2002
- Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship: Moses Cone Health System Greensboro, North Carolina, 2002 - 2003
Certification & Licensure
- Board Certification: American Board of Family Medicine, 2002
- Certificate of Added Qualification: Primary Care Sports Medicine, 2003
- Licensure: State of North Carolina Medical Board
- Controlled Substance Registration Certificate
- American Medical Society for Sports Medicine
- American Academy of Family Practice
- American Association of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- North Carolina Academy of Family Practice
- American Medical Association
- Team Physician, Erwin High School, 2007 - Present
- Team Coverage, Mars Hill College, 2007 – Present
- Team Physician Women’s Basketball UNCA 2007 - 2017
- Team Physician, Rockingham High School, 2003 - 2005
- Team Physician, Elon University, 2002 - 2003
- Team Physician, Eastern Alamance High School, 2002 - 2003
- Attending Physician, Inpatient Family Medicine Teaching Service, 2002 – 2003
- Contributing Author: Sports Medicine; Just the Facts "Exercise and Chronic Disease". Eds: O'Conner, F; Sallis, R; Wilder, R; St. Peirre, P. McGraw Hill, 2005
- Contributing Author: Sports Medicine for the Primary Care Physician "The Athlete with Chronic Illness." CRC Press, 2004
- Shea, Michael and Fields, Karl: "Plantar Fasciitis" Physician and Sportsmedicine 2002;30(7): 21-28.
- MAHEC Family Medicine Resident Teaching, 2007 – Present
- Assistant Program Director MAHEC Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship, 2015 - 2017
- Lecture "Sudden Death and Other Cardiology Topics in Sports Medicine" North Carolina Medical Society SportsMedicine Symposium, July 2007
- Adjunct Professor, Elon University Department of Sports Science, 2003 - 2005
- Preceptor, Moses Cone Sports Medicine Fellows, 2003 - 2005
- Preceptor, Moses Cone Family Practice Residents, 2002 - 2005
- Teaching Assistant, Elon University, 2002
- Medical Student Sports Medicine Lectures, University of North Carolina, 2002 - 2003
Honors & Awards
- George Wolff Outstanding Third Year Resident, Moses Cone Family Practice Residency, 2002
- Moses Cone Family Practice Resident of the Year, North Carolina Academy of Family Practice, 2001
- Mission Hospitals Health System
EmergeOrtho: Blue Ridge Region's Orthopedic Leaders Offer Biking Safety Tips
Drs. Mangone, Goebel and Shea honored by Asheville Catholic School
Three EmergeOrtho: Blue Ridge Region Physicians were honored by Asheville Catholic School at a ceremony at the school on March 16th, 2013....Read More