On April 21st Dr. Mangone was featured in a Citizen-Times article titled New ankle surgery offers WNC patients another option...Read More
You are here
After growing up in Pittsburgh, PA, and Annapolis, MD, Dr. Peter G. Mangone graduated magna cum laude from Davidson College in Davidson, NC, where he was a varsity letterman in baseball as well as a premed student. He attended and graduated cum laude from Emory University School of Medicine in Atlanta, GA, in 1989. He completed his internship and his orthopedic residency at Emory Affiliated Hospitals and then went on to complete his fellowship in orthopedic foot and ankle surgery at the Center For Orthopaedic Care in Cincinnati, Ohio with Dr. G. James Sammarco.
Since 1999, Dr. Mangone has been in private practice with Blue Ridge Bone & Joint in Asheville and Hendersonville, NC. He is the co-director of the Blue Ridge Bone & Joint Foot and Ankle Center, which is the sole provider of fellowship-trained orthopedic foot and ankle specialists in the western North Carolina region. Dr. Mangone has been active in the AOFAS and AANA as well as local and regional medical societies throughout his career. He is the current Coding committee chairman for the AOFAS. He is the upcoming president of the North Carolina Orthopaedic Society. He serves as the marketing director for his 21 member orthopaedic group. He has served as a volunteer faculty member at the annual AANA Masters in Foot and Ankle arthroscopy course for the last five years. He is a founding member of the Ankle Instability Group, an international group of twenty orthopaedic surgeons who have devoted themselves to advancing the diagnosis, classification, and surgical treatment of ankle instability through study and publication. He is also the co-inventor of the ArthroBrostrom technique for arthroscopic lateral ankle ligament instability. He has spoken and taught numerous times both nationally and internationally about the ArthroBrostrom technique, and he is regarded as one of the leading international experts in arthroscopic ankle ligament repair and reconstruction.
Dr. Mangone is an avid golfer as well as enjoys continually learning about history and political science.
Education & Training
- Bachelor of Science: Davidson College, Davidson, North Carolina, Magna Cum Laude, 1989
- Doctor of Medicine: Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia, Cum Laude, 1993
- General Surgery Internship, Emory Healthcare, Atlanta, Georgia, 1993 - 1994
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency, Emory Healthcare, Atlanta, Georgia, 1994 - 1998
- Foot and Ankle Surgery Fellowship, The Center for Orthopaedic Care, Cincinnati, Ohio, Director, G. James Sammarco, M.D., 1998 - 1999
- Diplomate, National Board of Medical Examiners
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Member, American Medical Association, 1989 - Present
- American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Surgeons
- North Carolina Medical Society
- Buncombe County Medical Society
- Subtalar Arthrodesis: A Successful Treatment for Painful Inflammatory, Post-Traumatic, and Planovalgus conditions of the Adult Hindfoot. Peter G. Mangone, Lamar L. Fleming, Samuel S. Fleming, Mark R. Hedrick, John G. Seiler, Erroll Bailey, and Judith Smith
- A Biomechanical Comparison of Blade Plate Versus Intramedullary Nail Fixation for Fractures of the Proximal Humerus. Peter G. Mangone, Paul Freudigman, and John Dalton. Robert P. Kelly Orthopaedic Society Annual Meeting, Emory University Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, April, 1998
- Subtalar Arthrodesis: A Successful Treatment for Painful Inflammatory, Post-Traumatic, and Palnovalgus condition of the Adult Hindfoot. Peter G. Mangone, Lamar L. Fleming, Samuel S. Fleming, Mark R. Hedrick, John G. Seiler. Journal of the Southern Orthopaedic Association. 5(2):144, 1996
JOURNAL ARTICLES PUBLISHED:
- Peroneal and Anterior Tibial Tendon Injuries. G. James Sammarco and Peter G. Mangone. In Athletic Injuries of the Foot and Ankle. Foot and Ankle Clinics, December, 1999.
- Subtalar Arthrodesis: A Successful Treatment for Painful Inflammatory, Post-Traumatic, and Planovalgus Conditions of the Adult Hindfoot. Peter G. Mangone, Lamar L. Fleming, Samuel S. Fleming, Mark R. Hedrick, John G. Seiler, Erroll Bailey, and Judith Smith. Accepted for publication, Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, August, 1997
- The Classification and Surgical Treatment of Plantar Fibromatosis. G. James Sammarco and Peter G. Mangone, Foot and Ankle International, July, 2000.
JOURNAL ARTICLES PENDING PUBLICATION:
- Peroneal Tendon Injuries. G. James Sammarco and Peter G. Mangone. Foot and Ankle Surgery, publication scheduled for Vol 6, No.4.
- Distal Tibial Osteotomies. Peter G. Mangone . Foot and Ankle Clinics , publication pending for edition in 2001
BOOK CHAPTERS PUBLISHED:
- Elbow Fractures and Dislocations. Peter G. Mangone, Tom Dovan, John G. Seiler in Orthopaedic Surgery: The Essentials. Eds. M. Baratz, A.D. Watson, and J. Imbriglia,Thieme, New York, 1999.
- International Foot and Ankle Society, Dublin, Ireland, 1995
- American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society, Semiannual Meeting, Vail, Colorado, 1995
- Robert P. Kelly Society Annual Meeting, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, 1996
- Southern Orthopaedic Association Annual Meeting, Scotland, August, 1996
- Minor Orthopaedic Injuries Treated by Primary Care Physicians: Is the Gatekeeper Concept Working? Peter G. Mangone, and John G. Seiler. Robert P. Kelly Orthopaedic Society Annual Meeting, Emory University Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, April, 1997
- The Classification and Surgical Treatment of Plantar Fibromatosis. G. James Sammarco and Peter G. Mangone. AOFAS Summer Meeting, Puerto Rico, July 1999.
Honors & Awards
- Roger A. Mann Award Nominee, 1995, American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society, for paper entitled "Subtalar Arthrodesis: A Successful Treatment for Painful Inflammatory, Post-Traumatic, and Palnovalgus Condition of the Adult Hindfoot."
- Bubba and Drawn Award, 1995, awarded by the Chief Residents to the second year resident who best handles the demands of the second year of orthopaedic residency at Emory
- Nominee, Best Teaching Resident in a surgical specialty, Emory University School of Medicine, Class of 1996
- Alpha Omega Alpha, 1992
- Hewlett Packard Company Top Medical Graduate, 1993
- Joseph P. Whitehead Foundation Scholarship, 1993, awarded to a student who has excelled academically and who has a strong interest in surgery as a career.
- Phi Beta Kappa, 1989
- Omicron Delta Kappa, 1988
- Sandy Black Memorial Award, 1988, awarded to the most outstanding rising senior premedical student at Davidson College
- Letterman, Varsity Baseball, 1989
- W. Olin Puckett Merit Scholarship, 1988 - 1989
- Samuel H. Bell Merit Scholarship, 1987 - 1988
- Park Ridge Hospital
- Mission Hospitals Health System
- Pardee Hospital
- Community Service
Dr. Mangone Featured in Citizen-Times Article
Dr. Mangone Serves at Orthopedic Summit 2014
Dr. Peter Mangone served as faculty in the Foot and Ankle section of Orthopaedic Summit 2014. Dr. Mangonepresented his...Read More
News 13 Features Dr. Mangone & Total Ankle Replacement
News 13 featured our own Dr. Mangone and the Inbone total ankle replacement procedure. This video clip shows the advantages of this procedure over...Read More
Dr. Peter Mangone: expert faculty member in Bordeaux, France for Ankle Instability Global Seminar
Dr. Peter Mangone just returned from Bordeaux, France where he served as an expert faculty and symposium member for the first ever Sports Medicine...Read More
Drs. Mangone, Goebel and Shea honored by Asheville Catholic School
Three Blue Ridge Bone and Joint Physicians were honored by Asheville Catholic School at a ceremony at the school on March 16th, 2013. Following...Read More
Arthroscopic lateral ankle ligament reconstruction continues to show promising results
2/7/12 -- Dr. Jorge Acevedo (West Palm Beach, FL) and Dr. Peter Mangone (Asheville, NC) presented their results for their first 24 patients with...Read More
Dr. Peter Mangone officially named AOFAS organization RUC representative
2/7/12 -- Dr. Peter Mangone was officially named the American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society (AOFAS) representative to the AMA-RUC. As...Read More
Dr Mangone Featured in Mission Hospital’s Orthopedic Quarterly
Dr. Mangone was featured in Mission Hospital's most recent issue of Orthopedic Quarterly. Blue Ridge Bone & Joint is proud to support Mission'...Read More
Dr. Peter Mangone pioneering arthroscopic lateral ankle ligament reconstruction
Dr. Peter Mangone is being recognized as a thought leader and a pioneer in arthroscopic ankle surgery with the acceptance of a manuscript he co-...Read More
Presenting at the “Arthrex Small Joint Course”
Dr. Peter Mangone, one of the three fellowship trained foot & ankle physicians in western North Carolina who practice exclusively at Blue...Read More
Abstract accepted for presentation at American Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Surgeons Summer Meeting
Dr. Peter Mangone, one of the three fellowship trained foot and ankle surgeons at Blue Ridge Bone & Joint, has had his abstract accepted for...Read More
What’s new with Dr. Mangone
Dr. Peter Mangone, one of the three fellowship trained foot and ankle surgeons at Blue Ridge Bone & Joint, acted as a member of the teaching...Read More