Dr. Robert Boykin served as a co-author on a peer reviewed publication examining the use of regenerative treatments to enhance outcomes in...Read More
You are here
As a fellowship trained sports medicine surgeon, Dr. Boykin specializes in disorders of the shoulder, knee, and hip in addition to all sports related injuries. He has a focus on using rehabilitation, prevention, and both arthroscopic and open surgery to restore joint function and keep patients involved in an active lifestyle. He has published scientific articles in peer reviewed journals, authored book chapters, and presented sports medicine research at national and international meetings. He also serves as a team physician for the US men’s and women’s alpine ski team and as a consultant to the Royal Spanish Tennis Federation for hip research in tennis players.
Originally from South Carolina, Dr. Boykin graduated as a Morehead Scholar with highest distinction from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill where he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa. He then received his medical degree from Vanderbilt University, where he was elected president of the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society and vice-president of his class. Dr. Boykin completed internship and residency training in the Harvard Combined Orthopaedic Surgery Residency Program in Boston, Massachusetts. He served as administrative chief resident for the Massachusetts General Hospital while also working at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, and Children’s Hospital Boston.
Dr. Boykin then received subspecialty training in sports medicine, knee, shoulder, and hip arthroscopy at the Steadman Clinic in Vail, Colorado. During his time in Vail, he traveled with the US Ski Team and worked with numerous professional athletes. After fellowship, he traveled to Annecy, France, where he completed additional subspecialty training in advanced shoulder surgery at the Alps Surgery Institute.
Outside of work, Dr. Boykin is an avid tennis player and enjoys outdoor activities including fishing, hiking, skiing, running, and mountain biking. He lives with his wife Emily in Asheville.
Education & Training
- Bachelor of Science in Biology: The University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, 2002
- Doctor of Medicine: Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee, 2006
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency: Harvard Orthopaedics Combined Residency Program, Boston, Massachusetts, 2006 - 2011
- Sports Medicine - Arthroscopic Hip, Knee, and Shoulder Surgery Fellowship: The Steadman Clinic / Steadman Philippon Research Institute, Vail, Colorado, 2011 - 2012
- Advanced Shoulder Surgery Fellowship: Alps Surgery Institute, Annecy, France, 2012
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM)
- Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA)
- International Society for Hip Arthroscopy (ISHA)
- Team Physician, United States Men’s and Women’s Olympic Alpine Ski Team, USSA. Coverage locations: Vail, Beaver Creek, Copper Mountain, Colorado, La Parva, Chile, 2011 – Present
- Consultant, Royal Spanish Tennis Federation Hip Research Project. Barcelona, Spain, 2011 – Present
- Head Team Physician, Vail Mountain High School, Vail, Colorado, 2011 – 2012
- Team Physician, Boston Public High School Football, Boston, Massachusetts, 2006 – 2011
PEER REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS:
- Campbell KJ, Boykin RE, Wijdicks CA, Giphart JE, LaPrade RF, Philippon MJ. Treatment of a Hip Capsular Injury in a Professional Soccer Player with Platelet Rich Plasma and Bone Marrow Aspirate Concentrate Therapy. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. [In Press]
- Boykin RE, Stull JD, Giphart JE, Wijdicks CA, Philippon MJ. Femoroacetabular Impingement in a Professional Soccer Player. Knee Surgery Sports Traumatology Arthroscopy. [In Press]
- Martetschläger F, Rios D, Boykin RE, Giphart E, de Waha A, Millet PJ. Coracoid Impingement: current Concepts. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2012 Apr 24.
- Jaglowski J, Boykin RE, Kocher MS. Recurrent peroneal subluxation in children and adolescents. Current Orthopaedic Practice. [In Press]
- Boykin RE, Jawa A, O’Brien T, Higgins LD, Warner JJP. Variability in operative management of proximal humerus fractures. Shoulder & Elbow. 2011;3:197-201.
- Boykin RE, Anz, A, Bushnell B, Kocher MS, Philippon MJ, Stubbs A. Hip Instability. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2011 Jun;19(6):340-9
- Boykin RE, Friedman DJ, Zimmer ZR, Oaklander AL, Warner JP. Suprascapular neuropathy in a shoulder referral practice. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2011 Jan 28.
- Boykin RE, Ogunseinde B, McFeely ED, Kocher MS. Calcaneofibular ligament transfer for recurrent peroneal instability in children. J Pediatr Orthop. 2010 Dec;30(8):899-903.
- Boykin RE, Friedman DJ, Higgins LD, Warner JP. Suprascapular Neuropathy: Current Concepts Review. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2010 Oct 6;92(13):2348-64.
- Harrod CC, Boykin RE, Kim YJ. Epidural pneumatosis of the cervicothoracic spine associated with transient upper motor neuron findings complicating haemophilus influenzae pharyngitis, bronchitis and mediastinitis. 2009. J Pediatr Orthop. 2010 Jul-Aug;30(5):455-9.
- Harrod CC, Boykin RE, Jupiter JB. Pain and swelling after radiofrequency treatment of proximal phalanx osteoid osteoma: case report. J Hand Surg Am. 2010 Jun;35(6):990-4. Epub 2010 May 7.
- Boykin RE, Heuer HJ, Vaishnav S, Millet PJ. Rotator Cuff Disease – Basics of Diagnosis and Treatment. Rheumatology Reports. 2010 Vol 2 (1): e1.
- Harrod, CC; Boykin, RE; Hedequist, DJ. Complications of infection in pediatric spine surgery. Pediatric Health. 2009 Dec 3(6): 579-592 (14).
- Boykin RE, Baskies MA, Harrod CC, Jupiter JB. Intra-operative distraction in the upper extremity. Techniques in Hand & Upper Extremity Surgery. 2009 Jun;13(2):75-81.
- Millett PJ, Gobezie R, Boykin RE. Degenerative shoulder disease: diagnosis and management. American Family Physician. 2008 Sep 1;78(5):605-11.
- Chen N, Boykin RE, Millett PJ. Case Report: A broken femoral cross pin after a hamstring anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Journal of Knee Surgery. 2007 Jul;20(3):245-8.
- Gaskill TR, Lee JT, Boykin RE, van der Meijden OA, Millett PJ. Chapter 16: Open Reduction and Internal Fixation of Fractures of the Clavicle. Shoulder and Elbow Trauma. Levine, Cadet, and Ahmad. JP Medical Ltd. Published 6/12.
- Martetschläger F, Rios D, Boykin RE, Millett PJ. Arthroscopic assesment and treatment of anterior glenoid bone loss. OKU Shoulder and Elbow 4. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. 2012
- Boykin RE, Rodkey WR, Steadman JR. Acute anterior cruciate ligament surgery. Repair vs. reconstruction. When? The ACL deficient knee – an approach based on problem resolution. Springer Verlag – London (In Press)
- Wilkes T, Lee JT, Boykin RE, Van der Meijden O, Millett PJ. Open Reduction and Internal Fixation of Clavicle Fractures. Current Management of Shoulder and Elbow Trauma. JP Medical Ltd. (In Press)
- Boykin RE, Heuer HJ, Millet PJ. Rotator Cuff Tears. Chapter 12: Evaluation and Management of Common Upper Extremity Disorders. Rohde and Millett. SLACK, Inc. Published 6/11.
NATIONAL & INTERNATIONAL MEETINGS:
- Smith S, Wijdicks C, Jansson K, Boykin RE, Martetschläger F, de Meijer PP, Millett PJ, Hackett T. Stability of Mid-shaft Clavicle Fractures after Plate Fixation versus Intramedullary Repair and after Hardware Removal. Poster Presentation at the ORS Annual Meeting, San Antonio, TX 1/13
- Rios D, Jansson K, Martetschläger F, Boykin RE, Millet PJ, Wijdicks, C. Restoration of Normal Radius of Curvature when Performing an Osteochondral Allograft to the Glenoid Surface: An Anatomic Computed Tomographic Comparison. Poster Presentation at the ORS Annual Meeting, San Antonio, TX 1/13
- Shi L, Boykin RE, Warner JP. The Association of Suprascapular Neuropathy with Rotator Cuff Tendon Tear and Fatty Degeneration. Poster Presentation at the SECEC Annual Meeting, Dubrovnik, Croatia 9/12.
- Boykin RE, Patterson D, Briggs KK, Dee A, Philippon MJ. The Results of Arthroscopic Labral Reconstruction of the Hip in Elite Athletes. Podium Presentation at the AANA Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL 5/12.
- Boykin RE, McFeely ED, Shearer D, Frank JS, Harrod CC, Nasreddine AY, Kocher MS. Correlation between the Child Health Questionnaire and the modified International Knee Documentation Committee score in adolescent patients with an anterior cruciate ligament tear. Poster presentation at the AOSSM annual meeting, Baltimore, MD 7/12.
- Boykin RE, Ruiz-Cotorro A, Dominguez D, Pjilippon MJ. Pre-participation hip screening in elite youth tennis players. Podium presentation at ESSSKA, Geneva, Switzerland 5/12.
- Shi L, Boykin RE, Warner JP. The Association of Suprascapular Neuropathy with Rotator Cuff Tendon Tear and Fatty Degeneration. Podium Presentation at the AAOS Annual Meeting, San Fransisco, CA, 2/12
- Heuer HJ, Boykin RE, Petit CP, Hardt J, Millet PJ. Decision Making in Treating Diaphyseal Clavicle Fractures: Is there Agreement Among Surgeons? Podium presentation at the International Congress on Science and Skiing, St. Christoph, Austria, 12/10.
- Vezeridis P, Boykin, RE, Wells J, Warner JP. The Association of Long thoracic Nerve Palsy and Suprascapular Neuropathy. Podium presentation at the Closed Meeting of the American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons, Scottsdale, AZ. 10/10.
- Boykin RE, Friedman DJ, Zimmer ZR, Oaklander AL, Warner JP. Suprascapular Neuropathy: Incidence and Significance. Podium presentation at the International Congress of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, Edinburgh, Scotland, 9/10.
- Vezeridis P, Boykin, RE, Wells J, Warner JP. The Association of Long thoracic Nerve Palsy and Suprascapular Neuropathy. Podium presentation at the International Congress of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, Edinburgh, Scotland, 9/10.
- Heuer HJ, Boykin RE, Hardt J, Petit CJ, Millett PJ. Decision-making in Treating Diaphyseal Clavicle Fractures: Is there Agreement Among Surgeons? Podium Presentation at “Jour Fixe” - Doctoral Candidate Seminar of the Institute for Social Medicine and the Institute for Cancer Epidemiology, University Hospital Schleswig-Holstein Campus Luebeck, Germany, 5/10.
- Heuer HJ, Boykin RE, Petit CP, Hardt J, Millet PJ. Decision Making in Treating Diaphyseal Clavicle Fractures: Is there Agreement Among Surgeons? Poster presentation at the AAOS Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA. 3/10.
- Boykin RE, Friedman DJ, Zimmer ZR, Oaklander AL, Warner JP. Suprascapular Neuropathy: Incidence and Significance. Presenting Author – Poster presentation at the AAOS Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, NV. 2/09.
- Arthroscopic Capsular Release of the Shoulder. Annecy Arthroscopic Arthroplasty Shoulder Academy Meeting. Annecy, France, 11/12.
- Rotator Cuff Mastery. ICL 007SK. Surgical Skills Lab Instructor. AAOS Annual Meeting. San Francisco, CA. 3/12.
- Femoroacetabular Impingement: Overview and Indications for Treatment. International Congress for Joint Reconstruction Fourth Annual Hip and Knee Course. Vail, CO, 1/12
- Arthroscopic Management of Femoroacetabular Impingement. International Congress for Joint Reconstruction Fourth Annual Hip and Knee Course. Vail, CO, 1/12
Honors & Awards
- Distinguished Alumni Award: Wilson Hall School, Sumter, South Carolina, 2011
- Administrative Chief Resident: Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Combined Orthopaedic Surgery Residency, Boston, Massachusetts, 2011
- AO North America Resident Research Grant Recipient: Proximal Humerus Fracture Fixation, Harvard Combined Orthopaedic Residency, Boston, Massachusetts, 2010
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society: Junior Inductee, President. Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee, 2005 - 2006
- Harvard Orthopaedics Student Research Fellowship: Proteomic Analysis of Synovial Fluid, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, 2004
- Vice President: Vanderbilt University School of Medicine Class of 2006, Nashville, Tennessee, 2002-2004
- Chi Psi Fraternity Graduate Scholarship Recipient: Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee, 2002
- Highest Distinction: BS Biology, University of North Carolina. Chapel Hill, North Carolina, 2002
- Phi Beta Kappa: University of North Carolina. Chapel Hill, North Carolina, 2002
- Biology Honors Recipient: University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, 2002
- Morehead Scholarship (Full): University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, 1998-2002
- Coca-Cola National Scholar: University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, 1998-2002
- Wendy’s High School Heisman Finalist: Wilson Hall School. Sumter, South Carolina, 1998
- Mission Hospitals Health System
- Park Ridge Hospital
- Orthopedic Surgery Center
Dr. Boykin Publishes Article on the Use of Biologics, Regenerative Treatments in Orthopaedic Surgery
Dr. Boykin authors an article on shoulder injuries in the throwing athlete
Dr. Robert Boykin recently published an article in The Physician and Sportsmedicine examining the diagnosis and treatment of...Read More