You are here
Dr. Werner Brooks is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon specializing in general orthopedic surgery, shoulder and knee surgery, sports medicine, and total joint replacements. Dr. Brooks completed his undergraduate studies at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology before receiving his medical degree from Duke University. He completed his internship and residency in orthopedic surgery at the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston, South Carolina. Dr. Brooks is board-certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery. He is also a member of the North Carolina Medical Society and Henderson County Medical Society as well as a fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.
Dr. Brooks has extensive experience in reconstructive surgery from over twenty years of caring for patients here in Western North Carolina. He specializes in sports medicine, minimally invasive surgery, arthroscopy, and complex reconstruction of the shoulder, hip, and knee as well as nonsurgical treatments. He also has expertise in performing shoulder, hip, and knee replacement surgeries. His emphasis is on minimally invasive arthroscopic surgery and all-arthroscopic repair for rotator cuff injuries and shoulder instability as well as reconstructive cartilage and knee ligament surgery. His philosophy of care includes a commitment to his patients and their families to deliver care that is supported by the highest order. He strives to understand his patients’ concerns, educate them about their treatment options, and tailor their care to meet their individual goals.
He was recently awarded “Physician of the Year” by the Pardee Hospital Foundation. This honor was bestowed upon him to recognize his accomplishments and outstanding orthopedic care delivered.
In his free time, Dr. Brooks enjoys biking, hiking, traveling, and spending time with his family. He has lived in Hendersonville for over 20 years.
Education & Training
- Bachelor of Science: Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Doctor of Medicine: Duke University Medical School, Durham, North Carolina
- General Surgery Internship: Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina, 1990 - 1991
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency: Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina, 1991 - 1995
Certification & Licensure
- Board Certification: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, 1997
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- North Carolina Medical Society
- Henderson County Medical Society
- Book Chapter Brooks, WC; Friedman, RJ. Joint Replacement Surgery in Anesthesia for Orthopedic Surgery: ed. Conroy JM, Dorman BH. Raven Press, New York, p. 193-195; 1994
- Journal Article Brooks, WC; Gross, RH. Genu Varum in Children: Diagnosis and Treatment. Journal of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons; 1995; 3:326-335
- Pardee Hospital
- Park Ridge Hospital