Jay C. Jansen, M.D.
Dr. Jay Jansen is a sports medicine fellowship trained orthopedic surgeon at Blue Ridge Bone and Joint Clinic. His surgical focus is arthroscopic treatment of joint disorder, soft tissue reconstructive procedures of the knee, shoulder, and elbow as well as comprehensive knee surgery.
Dr. Jansen graduated Phi Beta Kappa from Indiana University. He graduated with honors (Alpha Omega Alpha) from Indiana University School of Medicine in Indianapolis, IN. He completed his residency training in orthopedic surgery at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City, IA. Dr. Jansen went on to complete a fellowship in Sports Medicine and Arthroscopic Surgery at the American Sports Medicine Institute in Birmingham, Alabama under the direction of Dr. James Andrews and Dr. William Clancy.
Dr. Jansen is the team physician for multiple local colleges and high schools. Besides his involvement with high level athletes, his focus is to enable people of all ages and abilities to maintain an active lifestyle which includes injury prevention and rehabilitation.
Medical Director of Mars Hill College Athletic Training Program
Team Physician for:
- University North Carolina Asheville (UNCA)
- Mars Hill College
- Warren Wilson College
- Montreat College
- Multiple local high schools
Medical Director of Mission Hospital Sports Medicine Program
- Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, B.A. Chemistry 1988
- Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis , IN M.D. 1992
POSTGRADUATE RESIDENCY TRAINING
- University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, IA, Orthopaedic Surgery 1992- 1997
- Orthopaedic Sports Medicine and Arthroscopy, American Sports Medicine Institute, Birmingham, AL - James R. Andrews, M.D. William G. Clancy, Jr., M.D.
- "Long Term Outcome of Non-operatively Treated Patients with Normal Wrist Arthrograms." Submitted JBJS 6-97
- "Arthroscopically Assisted ACL Reconstruction Using Patellar Tendon versus Semitendnosus and Gracilis Tendons: A Prospective Evaluation"
- "The Effects of Ischemia and Reperfusion Injury on Skeletal Muscle in a Whole Limb Model"
UNDERGRADUATE - ACTIVITIES
- Social Chairman, 1987
- Scholarship Chairman, 1986
- Philanthropy Chairman, 1987
- Intramural Sports: Multiple, Basketball All Campus Champions, 1988
- Student Recreational Sports Association Chairman, 1986-1987
- Student Alumni Council, 1985
- Student Athletic Board, 1984
MEDICAL EDUCATION - ACTIVITIESS
- Vincent 's Hospital ER and House Extern
- Freshman Tutorial Group 1989
- Summer Research Program, 1989
- Intramural Basketball, IUPUI Champions 1991
RESIDENCY - ACTIVITIES
- Editor, Iowa Orthopaedic Journal, 1995-1996
- Assistant Editor, Iowa Orthopaedic Journal, 1994-1995
- American Board of Orthopaedc Surgery (ABOS), certified July 2000
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery, Fellow 2000
- American Orthopaedic Sports Medicine Society, Fellow 2000
- Certificate of Added Qualification (CAQ), Sports Medicine
- American Sports Medicine Institute Fellowship Society
- Phi Gamma Delta Fraternity
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Golden Key Honorary
- Alpha Lambda Delta
- Phi Eta Sigma
- Alpha Epsilon Delta
MEDICAL - HONORS AND AWARDS
- Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA)
- Mission Hospitals Health System, Asheville, North Carolina